Friday, July 12, 2013

Our Travel Timeline

So, if you read my previous post, you know that I am taking a class by Ali Edwards called Hello Story offered at Big Picture Classes. I made this layout based on the content of the class for this week on timelines. The last one I did was that of Arjun and this is about our travels over the last ten years. It is not comprehensive but these trips were some of the highlights.

I again based it pretty much on a layout that Ali had made for the class. Making this layout was an adventure all by itself. I made the templates to cut out the photos in segments on the Silhouette. I learnt quite a bit through this process. What fun! After figuring out how to cut them out, the placement of the photos on the mat was quite important.....as you may be guessing many a photo was sacrificed in this process. But I am so elated by the final outcome of this. I especially love the idea of raising segments of the circle with pop dots. Here is my layout:


 And here are some close ups:

 
 
 
 




For the border I cut strips of map paper from Simple Stories and cloud map paper from Studio Calico and paper pieced them along the border. For the background behind the photos, I used water color paper. I very subtly color washed with the colors of the papers in the border. I could have gone a little darker but better be safe than sorry. I was very happy to find the October Afternoon Sticky keys stickers for the names of all the places we went to. I also incorporated the Chipboard stickers as words for my journaling along the border of the layout. The border paper, geo tags and the chipboard stickers are from the roundabout kit and planetarium kit from studio calico.

It was so cool to go through the photos of all our travels and recollect all the memories, incidents and adventures along the way. However overwhelmed I feel before we start a journey, I absolutely seem to enjoy the experiences at our destination.....

****UPDATE*****
So many people were interested in the silhouette cut files to create the segments of the circles that I decided to add a link to those files here. You can download them for free. If you do, do leave me a comment. Both the files are .studio files that you can open with silhouette studio.
This cut file is best if used for a 5x7 photo - Segments of a circle
This file was created just for practice and it is the complete circle with segments - Divided circles
~Neela

2 comments :

Nirupama said...

All the sacrificed photos were worth it! This is incredibly gorgeous! I'm taking this class too. Gonna be checking out all your layouts now....

julee said...

Love this layout and I'm taking the class too. Gathering my pix.

A silhouette tutorial...would be a nice addition for those of us behind....;)

Love you blog.
Julie